Saturday, October 27, 2018

Module 9 - Exploring Line/Material Exploration Reflection



1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?

It was fun using my hand as subject matter. I haven't done an exercise like this in a long time and it was fun to do some observational drawing again!

2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?

I used pencil, typically because it's a harder medium for me to work with. I find charcoal easier to manipulate, and wanted to challenge myself.

3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?

It felt very uncomfortable to create a drawing with my non-dominant hand. I couldn't even hold the paper still! I felt like I had to concentrate a lot harder, but it was a fun exercise.

4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?

I think they are successful. The drawing with my dominant hand is obviously a better life-like representation. With my non-dominant hand, I could barely get the lines down, let alone shade anything. The drawing with my non-dominant hand reminds me of something abstract, or minimalist; it's the general shape, but definitely not representational!

5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?

I'm not sure if I would use my non-dominant hand to create in the future. It feels like I have much less control, and like I said above, could barely even keep the paper still while I was drawing. It just felt very uncomfortable, and it felt like my brain was working ten times harder. It might be fun to try and paint with my left hand, but I'm not sure drawing is a strong suit for my left hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Questionnaire

1. Which assignment did you ENJOY working on the  best ?  Why? I enjoyed the curation project the best. Even though it took a bit of time...