Sunday, November 4, 2018

Module 10: Art Material Exploration: Mask Making

1. Upload the three (3) inspiration images to your Blog (or link to your Photobucket account). Explain why you selected the inspiration pieces.
I chose this African Antelope mask because I liked that it represented an antelope. I was also drawn to the decorative elements. After reading about this mask, it is not authentic, but rather was created to sell to tourists, however, I still think it is interesting looking. 

Analysis/Description:
This mask is dark in tone but has contrasting red and white geometrical shapes contrasting against its organic forms. The horns on the top stand out with alternating horizontal red and white lines, and the horns themselves create an interesting negative space, and lead the eye down toward the center of the mask. The central park of the mask is outlined with sharp, geometric shapes that contrast against the organic, round form of the mask itself. The area around the eyes mimics this round shape and are met at the center of each with almond-shaped eyes, cut in the center with a stark horizontal line. The nose cuts through the center of the mask and is decorated with alternating dots of red and white. This leads the eye down to the mouth, which is again contrasted as a sharp, triangular shape against the round, organic form of the mask.

This is a rare Oceanic mask from Australia. I chose it as inspiration because I really liked the textures and contrasts of different materials used. The mask is a "Mawa" mask which means "face". These masks are said to represent mythical heroes who represent rites of passage.

Analysis/Description:
This mask is a long oval shape and takes on a less organic form than a human face. It is bent on the sides which creates sharp angles that lead back toward the sharp, square-like ears, and again to the rectangular face. It is earth-toned in light brown, and has hair toward the top of the face, which is contrasted with a yarn-like material in a much deeper, darker brown tone. The yarn atop the form mimics the overall shape; and leads the eye down toward the almond-shaped cut out eyes, which create sharp negative space on the top portion of the mask. The nose is a large, protruding triangle which droops down at the tip, leading the eye to the mouth. The mouth is highlighted in a red tone and contains small, square-like textures to create teeth. A thin beard frames the bottom of the mask, creating a textured line around the form.

The last mask I chose as inspiration is a mask from Argentina. I chose it because I liked its simplicity and textures.

Analysis/Description:
This mask is a small, round face in a light ivory color. The face is framed by an earthy light brown colored tuft of hair that creates a contrasting texture. Within the face are two small lines indicating eyebrows that are contrasted against the light skin tone, leading to two small cut-out slits for eyes. The eyebrows arch slightly toward the center, leading the eye to the large, protruding triangular nose and down to the small mouth created again by a contrasting slit. Next to each side of the nose are two red dots, indicating cheeks. Atop the rounded form sits a rectangular form split by a triangular shape expanding toward the top in an earthy orange tone. This creates a repetition for the eye, as the warm tone picks up the same tones in the hair that frames the face. The V shape is filled with a black triangle in the center and toward the bottom where the shape converges, and is framed by two white triangles on either side, which repeats the light tone of the rounded face. The V shape sharply contrasts against the organic form below it, which draws the eye down to the face.

2. Include the analysis and description (art criticism steps) of the three (3) inspiration pieces.
See above! I added these underneath the images.
3. Upload images of your sketches and finished piece.
Sketches:

Finished Mask:


4. Explain how you used the Elements and Principles in your finished mask.
I wanted to use bright colors, so I used analogous colors of blues and green, and a complementary pink. I used the form of an animal and used repeating, geometric forms to highlight certain areas to draw the eye around the mask; specifically in the ears, eyes the center. I also used thread to create the whiskers, because I wanted a contrast in material, although, I wish I had a different color like blue or pink- I think that would have fit in more with the mask because I think they stand out too much in black. I also used a contrast in texture with the flowers on top.
5. Share your opinion of your finished mask and what you thought about creating the mask.
Making the mask was really fun! It was harder than I thought and it was fun to sketch it out because my ideas evolved a lot. I do like my mask, but as I stated above, I wish that I had different color thread for the whiskers. Now that I am looking at it, I also wish that perhaps I used some other kind of organic form and texture on the ears. All in all, I thought it was a really fun activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Questionnaire

1. Which assignment did you ENJOY working on the  best ?  Why? I enjoyed the curation project the best. Even though it took a bit of time...