Sunday, December 2, 2018

Module 16: Reflection of AED200

1. What were you expectations for this course and where they met?
I expected to learn how to further expand my ability to understand how context and history affects the creative process and end result of art, as well as the artists who create it. I also expect to learn how to improve my ability to write about art and explain my understanding of it. I definitely feel like I met those expectations. I feel as though I've learned a great deal about how historical and societal context influences artists, as well as improved my ability to write about art. 
2. Now that you've been through this course, What is art? How would you define it now compared to your intial posting?

My original statement was that art is "Something that a person or group creates to convey a feeling, emotion, point of view or statement." While I still feel that is true, I would expand it. Art is created to convey a feeling, emotion, point of view, statement, and to document history. It is created to make a viewer feel something.

3. Who was your favorite artist in your original posting and who is your favorite visual artist now? If there is a difference, why do you think so? If you have the same favorite artist, why do you think so?
My favorite artist when starting this course was Jenny Saville. I'd say she is still a very influential artist for me, but I have also grown quite fond of Caravaggio after this course and learning more about him; specifically his history and his inventive use of light. I have also found a liking for Francisco Goya and seeing how his paintings were much different than any other artist of his time. There are so many artists that I learned about, it's hard to choose! I have found, however, that learning about context and history is incredibly important when looking at art and thinking about these types of things.
4. Now that you've completed this course, how do you feel about taking an online course? Is your answer the same as it was in your first posting? How is it the same or different?

Taking an online course is challenging. I was nervous to take an online course at the beginning, because I had taken one before and it was very hard for me to stay engaged. I will say, however, that this one was much better. I really enjoyed all the interactive elements; specifically the videos and interacting on projects and other students' blogs. It is, however, challenging to ensure you set aside the required time each week to complete the work since you aren't in an actual classroom. I think the course could benefit from more interactive activities with classmates like the gallery project, but I did notice some of the class did not follow the directions (which makes it hard to collaborate), so it's also important to take your time and carefully read everything! I also really enjoyed the flexibility of an online format; if I knew I had a busy week, I could double up and complete my work ahead, which was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Questionnaire

1. Which assignment did you ENJOY working on the  best ?  Why? I enjoyed the curation project the best. Even though it took a bit of time...